Thursday, February 5, 2009

Shell of a Man, but i got a video!!

I recently found a website that contains a video about my placement. After finding this video I was elated. In an instant I went from knowing nothing, to actually seeing the place where I will be working. All through the power of Google, what was the internet ever like without it? There was a time before I had all this power, somewhere between elementary school and my first hotmail account. I remember a time where using a search engine was only a little bit more convenient than guessing URL addresses. Things are different now. Now I can Google “Sega, Ghana” and get a video response as my first hit, and Wikipedia as my second. What’s really amazing is how much I take these powers for granted. What happens in Africa when I don’t have a computer? What happens to my spell check, calculator, and most importantly my Google?! I’m pretty sure I would have never made it this far in school without the modern conveniences of high-speed internet! Going to Ghana for 3 months will be like living in the world that was supposed to happen after Y2K! I recently had an interview with my Professor, she told me to print lesson plans before I go. For a minute I thought she was being silly. “Nah” I thought to myself, “I’ll just print what I need when I need it (aka the night before).” Then it hit me, I will be virtually (pun intended) computerless for the duration of my stay. Sometimes I forget free high-speed wireless internet is not globally sponsored. To be honest, I am afraid that I am merely a shell propped up by the crutch of technology. What happens when the crutch is removed? Either I will learn how strong that man is apart from the machine, or I will learn that at the core, I am still the kid who got made fun of for his learning disability.

The video of my placement can be through the link http://segaghana.blogspot.com/, it is the first video you run into while scrolling down.

3 comments:

  1. don't worry John, there will be internet cafes in the bigger cities near by and I'm sure there will be electricity where you'll live (so you can bring ur laptop). I'm a little jealous of you to be honest, I really wanted to a rural placement but Gabarone is a big city and very modern :(...the best thing about a rural placement is that you'll get the full experience, the rural areas is where you'll discover the real Ghana, it hasn't been influenced by technology and the culture is intact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. maryam ! A short question for you , what is define as the 'real Ghana'. Is there part of Ghana that's not real , do those that live in cities and towns have fake lifes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit that it's one of the reasons I like my placement so much. The medicial doctors in Honduras travel and do house calls so I get the chance to see how people all over really live.

    ReplyDelete